Chocolate-Dipped, Bacon-Wrapped Bananas
If you think that bacon and bananas don’t go together, we’re here to tell you that you are wrong! If you’ve never tried this delectable flavor combo, you don’t know what you’re missing. This impressive dessert-on-a-stick is easy to make and will spark some interesting debate and conversation at your next party.
This recipe comes to us from Story by ModCloth, a smartly-crafted blog filled with the best and brightest of fashion and culture. It’s your place for all things ModCloth. Focused on community-driven content and the art of storytelling, they are always on the hunt for their next feature.
2 large bananas
4 strips thick-sliced bacon, cut in half
4 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
2 tablespoons vegetable oil for frying
1 10-oz. package chocolate chips
8 bamboo sticks
Wax or parchment paper
1. Quarter bananas into pieces the width of the bacon. Wrap bacon around banana pieces and secure with toothpick.
2. Mix brown sugar and Cajun seasoning on plate to create rub. Set aside.
3. Heat oil in frying pan on medium/high heat, then add bacon-wrapped bananas. Fry evenly on each side until bacon is 3/4 of the way cooked.
4. Remove bacon-wrapped bananas from oil. Coat completely with sugar rub, remove toothpicks, then fry again until sugar caramelizes. Remove each, then either serve as is, or continue on to steps 5-8.
5. Place in freezer to cool for 30 minutes.
6. While you wait, melt chocolate chips in double boiler, stirring consistently as needed.
7. Remove bacon-wrapped bananas from freezer, then secure each to bamboo sticks for dipping.
8. Roll pieces in chocolate until covered, then set on wax or parchment paper. Refrigerate immediately until chocolate hardens.