Bacon Fried Corn and Black Beans
There are so many side dishes in existence, that it’s nearly impossible to choose which dish to enhance with bacon’s versatile flavors. Since we couldn’t decide for ourselves, we combined two of our favorites: creamed corn and black bean salad. The corn, peppers, and cilantro add a brightness to the dish, while the cream cheese and black beans bring a hearty, creaminess to the dish. And, of course, the crispy gourmet bacon adds a whole new level of textures and flavors. We’re pretty sure that when you bring this to your next gathering, everyone is going to begging for more. So in that case, you might want to make a double batch!
- 12 bacon strips
- 2 15-oz cans sweet corn kernels
- 1 15oz can black beans, drained and washed
- 3/4 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, de-seeded, finely chopped
- 8 oz cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the bacon strips in a large skillet, then turn the heat to medium-high and cook until the bacon is crispy, about 8-10 minutes. Once crispy, remove to paper towels to drain, reserving the grease in the pan. Crumble or chop the cooked bacon and set aside.
- Using the reserved bacon grease, saute the corn, onion, red peppers, and jalapeno peppers over medium-high heat until the vegetables are tender. Gently stir in the cubed cream cheese and the half-and-half, then add in the black beans, cumin, and paprika. Heat through until the cheese has melted and the beans are warm. Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro and crumbled bacon. Flavor to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm
From the World of Sweet, Sweet Bacon.
Tags: bacon, beans, black beans, cilantro, corn, cream cheese, cream corn, cream of corn, jalapeno, side dish, southern, spicy
This post was written by Piggy Piggy Princess