Paleo Bacon Wrapped Dates
This recipe is by Louise Hendon, co-founder of Paleo Flourish Magazine. Paleo Flourish Magazine is a great source for paleo recipes like these bacon-wrapped dates stuffed with cashew cheese. Cashew “cheese” is made from ground cashews, so this recipe is great for those who are lactose intolerant and it’s also gluten-free. If you’re expecting party guests or have family members who can’t eat dairy, this is a delicious option to serve during the holidays. For Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Year’s Eve, make a double batch of this appetizer because they’re going to go fast. Follow Paleo Flourish Magazine on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for more paleo recipes.
- 16 pitted dates (small) (scale up the cashew and coconut oil amounts for
- larger dates)
- 8 slices of thinly sliced bacon (cut each slice in half to create 16 shorter slices)
- 1/2 cup (approx. 60 g) raw cashews, soaked overnight (omit for AIP)
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) coconut oil
- 1/2 cup (118 ml) water
- Place the raw cashews into a bowl of room temperature water so that it covers the cashews, drape a paper towel or tea towel over the bowl to prevent dust settling, and soak overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350¬∞ F (177 C).
- Place the soaked cashews, ¬Ω cup fresh water, and coconut oil into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Slice each date along one side so that it opens up and fill each date with the cashew ‚Äòcheese‚Äô and close it up. Wrap one of the half-slices of bacon around the date and place on baking tray with sides (as the fat from the bacon tends to run).
- Bake for 20 minutes before flipping the bacon-wrapped dates over (with tongs). Bake for another 10 minutes (i.e. for a total of 30 minutes)
From the world of sweet, sweet bacon.