Salted Caramel Bacon Cookies
Salt + Caramel, caramel + Salt. Awww, what a joyous pairing. But since bacon is cured with salt, that means bacon is basically salt’s cooler, older brother. By combining bacon and caramel, we’ve not only upgraded the salty sweet combo, we added a punch of smoky, umami flavor. But don’t worry salt fans, we still sprinkled sea salt on these cookies for an extra salty contrast to the sweet sugar cookies and milky caramels.
- 1 cup (8 oz.) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners‚Äô sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tablespoon bourbon vanilla extract
- 2¬Ω cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. coarse sea salt
- 1/2 cup bacon, finely chopped
- 14 oz vanilla caramel candies, unwrapped
- 2 tablespoons cream or milk
- 1/2 cup bacon, finely chopped'
- 'Cream together butter and confectioner‚Äôs sugar on medium-high speed for 1-2 minutes until smooth. Add in the egg and vanilla until combined, then fold in the chopped bacon. Sift in the flour and salt and mix on low speed until just incorporated. Form the dough into a ball, then wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 1-2 hour until firm.
- Preheat oven to 375¬∞F and line your baking sheets with parchment paper. If you have dark pans, turn the oven down 25¬∞F.
- On a well floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut with your preferred cookie cutters and place on the prepared cookie sheets about 1 inch apart. Bake for 8-10 minutes rotating half way through until cookies look cooked and are just barely starting to brown. Let sit for 5 minutes then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
- In a microwave safe bowl, microwave the caramels and cream on hight for 30 seconds. Stir, then repeat 30 second intervals until caramel is storable but not super runny. Spoon a little of the caramel onto a cookie, then gently spread over the top. Sprinkle with a little sea salt and some chopped bacon. Repeat with all the cookies, working one at a time and re-heating the caramel as needed. Let the caramel set completely then serve! Cool the caramel cookies in the freezer for a couple of moments to set if needed. Store in an air tight container.
Tags: bacon, bacon cookies, caramel, cookies, dessert, salt, salted caramel, salty, smoky, sugar, sugar cookies, sweet, umami, vanilla
This post was written by Piggy Piggy Princess