Slow-Cooked Bacon Chili
We use a full pound of bacon in this versatile chili recipe. It’s easy to customize by adding other ingredients like mushrooms or bell peppers or some ground pork or chorizo. It is delicious all on its own, but used in recipes like Bacon Chili Cheese Fries, Bacon Chili Nachos or even Bacon Chili & Corn Bread. We stuffed it in roasted bell peppers to create a yummy game day or fantasy football party recipe. This could also be cooked in a crockpot or slow cooker. After browning the beef, bacon, onion and garlic, just add the ingredients to the slow cooker, set to low and cook until the flavors have melded. Yum!
For the Chili:
1 lb. ground Beef
1 lb. bacon cut into chunks
4 tomatoes, chopped
1 onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 can chili beans or kidney beans
2 cups cheddar cheese
1 package Lawry’s Chili powder
1 Tbsp. Tabasco sauce
1 15 oz. can beef broth
1 roll of Ritz Crackers or saltine crackers
For the Bell Peppers:
4 bell peppers (halved lengthwise and interior seeds removed)
Olive oil for basting
1. Brown the onion in 2-3 Tbsp. olive oil. Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Season the ground beef with hamburger seasoning and brown the ground beef. Pan fry the bacon over medium heat and cut into 1 inch chunks.
2. In a large non-stick pot, add the remaining ingredients except crackers and cheese. Add beef broth to the pot until most of the ingredients are covered.
3. Bring to a boil then lower heat and let simmer stirring occasionally. Add cheese and crumbled crackers when heat is lowered. Let simmer for at least an hour.
4. Preheat oven to 350 F°. Baste peppers with olive oil and bake them on a non-greased baking sheet for 20 min or until peppers are soft.
5. Let peppers cool for 5 min, then scoop chili into the peppers. Top with additional cheese and serve.
Tags: bacon, bell pepers, chili, chili cheese fries, corn bread, crock pot, football, game day, nachos, recipe, slow cooker, stuffed peppers, tailgate
This post was written by Mr. B.