Pub 1842 Peanut Butter Bacon Crunch Burger
This recipe is from Chef Anthony Schutz, Executive Chef at Pub 1842 located in the MGM Grand, Las Vegas. This playful riff on the cheeseburger combines creamy peanut butter, salty bacon and crunchy potato chips to pack a surprising one-two crunch that is hard to forget! PUB 1842 is an American pub featuring a wide selection of global beers, unique cocktails and hand-crafted provisions. This is a place to have fun, smile and toast the everyday with a full beer in hand-and preferably a shot of whiskey too.
Chef Anthon Schutz’s exceptional management skills and passion for quality and service led him to his current role as executive chef of Michael Mina’s casual concept, PUB 1842 at MGM Grand where he continues to demonstrate his love of cooking nightly. “I am lucky to be surrounded by very talented people who all have the same goal. We want to be the best and know we can make our restaurant one of the best in Las Vegas.” Follow Pub 1842 and the MGM Grand on Twitter.
For the Bacon Marmalade (Makes 1 lb. enough for 10 Burgers)
1 lb. Bacon
3 Tbsp. Brandy
6 Tbsp. Sherry Vinegar
1 Cup Yellow Onions, Sweet, diced
½ Cup Shallot
4 sprigs Thyme leaves
½ Cup Light Brown Sugar
4 Tbsp. Coleman’s Dry Yellow Mustard Powder
½ Tbsp. Salt
1 tsp. Black Pepper
For the Pimiento Cheese Spread (Makes 1 lb. enough for 10 Burgers)
½ cup canned Piquillo peppers, drained and chopped
½ cup roasted garlic
1/4 Tbsp. Paprika
1 Tbsp. Hot Sauce, such as Crystal’s or Frank’s
1 ½ Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
½ Cup Heavyweight Mayonnaise
1 Cup Cheddar Cheese
For the Burger
Four 8 oz. Burger patty
3 cups Ridged Potato Chips
4 Burger Buns, Sliced
8 Tbsp. Crunchy Peanut Butter, room temperature
2 Dill Pickles, cut in half
12 Tbsp. Pimiento cheese spread (see included recipe)
12 Tbsp. Bacon Marmalade (see included recipe)
To make the Pimiento Cheese Spread
Shred cheese and rough chop pimientos
Smash and rough chop garlic
Combine mixture with paprika, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and mayonnaise.
Let the flavors combine overnight.
To Make the Bacon Marmalade
1. Dice the bacon well and add to a large shallow saucepan. Simmer the bacon in 5 ½ cups of water. Cook until all the water has been evaporated and the bacon is rendering in its own Fat.
2. Once the bacon has rendered 80% of the way pull 75% of the bacon out of the pan and spread it out on a sheet pan with parchment underneath. Cook the 75% of the bacon in a convection oven at 350? for 7 minutes until the bacon starts to become crispy. Pull the bacon out and let rest at room temperature to bring to a full crisp.
3. Add the shallots and onions to the saucepan and cook until translucent. Add the brandy and sherry vinegar and de-glaze the pan.
4. Add the brown sugar, salt, black pepper, and mustard powder. Mix it thoroughly and bring the liquid down to au reduce. Add the thyme leaves and set aside.
5. Take the shallot, onion and bacon mixture and put it into a food processor and blend thoroughly into a pulp. Place the pulp into a large bowl and fold in the crispy bacon.
6. Spread on a sheet tray to cool.
To assemble the burger
1. Season your patties with salt and cracked black pepper, grill, and rest.
2. Spread tempered butter on your buns and toast.
3. Spread 3 tablespoons of bacon marmalade on bottom bun, and 2 tablespoons of peanut butter on top bun.
4. Top burger with 3 tablespoons of pimiento cheese.
5. Assembly Sequence: bottom bun with bacon jam, burger patty with pimento cheese, ridged chips, top bun with peanut butter.
Tags: anthony schutz, bacon, burger, cheeseburger, chef, Crunch, executive chef, Las Vegas, mgm grand, michael mina, peanut butter, Pub 1842, recipe
This post was written by Boss Hog