Bacon Cookies!!!

January 5, 2011 5:00 am Published by 15 Comments

These are designed to taste sort of like breakfast, what with the whole maple syrup thing.

1 1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup bacon grease
2 cups sugar
2 large beaten eggs
1/2 cup maple syrup plus extra for the candied bacon
2.5 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups flour
2 lbs bacon
1/2 cup white sugar for coating the dough balls

First things first: the bacon. Line baking sheets with tin foil. Put racks on them, and lay out the bacon. It can overlap some, but not too much. Spread on a healthy amount of maple syrup, spreading it with a brush, if you have one. Bake at 350F for 15 minutes. Flip the bacon, spread on more maple syrup, and bake for another 15 minutes, or until perfectly crisp. You can turn the oven off, because the dough will need to chill out in the fridge for a little bit.

Next, the grease: Pour about 1/4 cup of the bacon drippings into a measure cup, and set aside. You can discard the rest of the grease if you want. Or save it in your fridge for the next time you’re making pancakes. YUM.

Now, the cookie dough! Melt the butter in the microwave and mix it with the sugar in a large bowl. Let the mixture cool (Since the butter will probably still be warm) and add the beaten eggs. Add maple syrup, baking soda, salt, and vanilla. Mix it all up.

Again with the bacon! Set aside about seven strips of bacon. DO NOT EAT THEM. All of your eating bacon should come from the other bacon. Chop the other bacon up into smallish pieces. Eat as much as you want, but remember, the more bacon that goes in your stomach now, the less bacon you’ll have in your cookies later. Mix you chopped bacon in to the dough. Then add the flour and mix thoroughly.

It’s chill time! Chill the dough for at least 1 hour in the fridge. (Overnight is fine too.) This is a good time to clean up the kitchen. Alternatively, depending on how much bacon you ate, it’s a great time to take a nap or go for a run. I chose to clean up.

It’s cookie making time! Roll the dough into walnut sized balls with your hands. Error on the side of small, because they will spread out. Roll the balls in white sugar and place them on parchment lined cookie sheets, 12 to a standard sheet. Keep them at least an inch apart, but more if you have room to spare. They spread out and will mush together if you do what I did and put them too close together. Take your remaining bacon and cut it into half in pieces. Put a piece of bacon on the top of each cookie. Flatten them with a spatula or potato masher.

Time to bake! Put oven rack in the middle position. If you are awesome enough to have a convection over you can bake with two racks at a time. OH YEAH. Bake at 350 for 10 to 12 minutes or until nicely browned. Cool on the cookie sheets while you clear off a place for the cookies to cool down further. You can shift the parchment paper off the cookie sheet and place it on, say, your washing machine, so you can reuse that cookie sheet.

Wait a gosh darn minute! The cookies will seem soft, but they will crisp up a little bit. They’re remain sort of soft, though, which is how I like them.

Now, eat as many as you want, then pass out in a delicious bacony coma.

Note: If you somehow don’t eat all the cookies right away, you should store them in the fridge, because, yeah, bacon.

ARTICLE/PHOTO CREDIT: Eat Drink and be Meiri @ http://eatdrinkandbemeiri.blogspot.com/

Tags: , ,

Categorised in: ,

This post was written by Mr. B.

• Isabel says:

Does the 1/4 cup bacon grease go in with the melted butter?

• Mr. B. says:

I believe this is the case

• Hmmm? says:

What do you mean you “believe” that is the case? You posted the recipe… Please help.

• Bacon lover says:

1 and 1/4th cup butter,
          1/4th cup bacon grease
          ½ cup brown sugar and white sugar
          2 egs
          4 cups of flour
          2.5 tsp baking soda
          calls for salt I didn’t add it.
          1 tsp vanilla
          1/4th cup maple syrup

Cook bacon first, Lay them out on sheet with tin foil under, rub maple syrup onto the bacon I used a spoon, sprinkle brown sugar.
          Cook at 350 for 15-16 mins flip and cook again for 15-16 minutes or until they are as done as you like

Mix butter, sugars, egg, vanilla grease, maple syrup together
          add flour and soda.

let sit for hour in fridge, then pull out add chopped bacon

roll cookies in little extra white sugar put on sheet press down with a decent sized piece of bacon in the middle.

Cook for 13-16 minutes at 350. I found 16 minutes to be best could of even been longer possibly.

Put back into fridge for the night and enojoy the next tim you pull them out.!

• David Nett says:

I was skeptical of these when Rose made them for XMas, but in the end I ate like eleventeen of them. So, so good. Maple-y, bacon-y goodness in cookie form. Highly recommended. So says I.

• Jen says:

When I saw this recipe I thought it was to good to be true and I was right. I just wasted $9 a pound fresh cut bacon from the butcher because the bacon does not get crispy with the syrup on it, it stays soft and chewy. I now have to scramble and find a new bacon cookie recipe because Im not wasting more good bacon.

• Bacon lover says:

If you cook the bacon for longer so it gets nice and brown roughly 17 mins on each side it will et crispy and not be chewy and the maple syrup adds the flavor and if you do what i did and add brown sugar it adds a nice sweetness as well.

• Weed Quotes says:

Wow, these look incredible! I’d love to eat a batch or two of these! 😀

• Amanda says:

How many cookies does this recipe yield? Seems like it would be a lot. They look wonderful!

• Elizabeth says:

You really need to use thin sliced, pre-packaged bacon to get crispy results…I use maple flavored bacon, w/the maple syrup…works fine!

• Lucy says:

I just made these for the first time and lol, leftovers? no leftovers in this household. Thank you for sharing.

• bo says:

I made these cookies there are great white want to surprise Mike with them