Bacon, Sausage and More Bacon – The Bacon Explosion

January 30, 2009 12:01 am Published by 13 Comments

Every now and then we find a recipe that MUST be shared.  You may remember the Bacon-Wrapped Cheese Yule Log from Day 1 of our 12 Days of a Bacon-Wrapped Christmas. If you missed it then, you can still see it now on our YouTube Channel. Put simply, it was a pound of cheese wrapped in roughly a pound of bacon.

In the great tradition of rolled foods comes the Bacon Explosion. Get your smokers ready, because I think you’re all going to want to try this one.

Take a quick trip over to BBQ Addicts and check out the Bacon Explosion. This thing has been getting mad press coverage, too. The Kansas City Star gave this creation an incredible write up just yesterday.

bacon_explosion

It’s a great recipe. It starts with a BT favorite – the woven bacon mat. On top of that they spread a huge amount of sausage, followed by more bacon – real fried bacon pieces – and BBQ seasoning. After that they roll the thing up and throw it in a smoker. When it’s all done, they slather it with BBQ sauce so that it looks like this…

bacon_explosion_002

The result? A bacon extravaganza that will send your taste buds on a fantastic bacon voyage. Special thanks to Jason, Burnt Finger BBQ and the BBQ Addicts blog for bringing this amazing creation to life.

— Mr. B

Update: Some fine folks have made the bacon explosion and documented the event on video. Via Bacon Unwrapped.

Tags: , ,

Categorised in: ,

This post was written by Mr. B.

• Matt says:

Oh man, I can only imagine how many arteries that dish can clog up.

• Mark says:

This is quite possibly the gnarliest thing I have ever laid eyes upon.

Whoever came up with this idea deserves the Nobel Prize, the Congressional Gold Medal, the Presidential Medal of Freedom, and a gift card for free angioplasties/bypasses for life.

Truly awesome.

• Jim says:

They should have a table right next to them with creative dishes you can make from antacids 🙂

• Gordon says:

It’s good but I probably wont it again for years. I used hot sausage, Tony Roma’s Red Hots sause and Cabots extra sharp cheese in the middle. So Bad but so GOOD

• Jason says:

I’m making one this weekend…..!!!!!

• Tank says:

OH MY GOD!!! Guess what Im making tonight! (its not chicken tonight…)

sweet sweet bacon….a ménage à trois if you will of beautiful piggy!

*drools* screw the arteries I’ll eat salad for a week afterwards to balance it out – and heck it’ll be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO worth it!

• Lisa Kehler says:

Hey all. My crazy friend Billy Bob sent us a photo of his “Love Log” (ooh, that doesn’t sound good – that’s his term for the Bacon Explosion). It inspired me to create a VERY short tribute to the B.Ex. You can check it out at my Vimeo webpage:

Hope you enjoy it!

• Symmetry says:

After finding this a while ago searching for bacon recipes, I’ve been making one every month or so. Altogether an Explosion lasts me about 4 days, and those are the best meals I have that month.

On New Years’ Day, I’m planning on making one for the family. Well, two – one with Sweet Baby Ray’s barbeque sauce and one with some Burnt Finger I ordered. Both of them will be extra-large, too. It should challenge my mom’s Christmas ham, don’t you think?

• Coy Waggener says:

I heard that he was to eager do a Eastenders appearence :O. Not sure how true this is, has anyone else heard it? There’s a bit of me that sort of hopes this is not true lol.

• Scott says:

Oh lord…I will be making one of these, oh yes I will.

• GPD4 says:

I’ve made a few of these. So far the best one used bratwurst meat as the sausage and Strawberry’s BBQ seasoning. To ‘one-up’ your baconbomb, I had to make sandwiches out of it.

Fresh buttermilk biscuit bottom, american cheese, 2 slices of bacon explosion, one fried egg (over medium), a dash of Jalepeno Bacon Salt, the top of the biscuit, and then a ladleful of fresh bacon/sausage cream gravy. Garnish with Lipitor.