Would You Like Some Wine With Your Bacon?

My wife just told me that bacon tastes good with wine.

That’s not good enough for me, though. I need to know more. Red or White? Cab or Pinot? French? Italian? Israeli? Californian?

Bacon Today will need to launch a full investigation into this statement. Is it as Smastey™ as she claims? Plus, the search is now on for a bacon-infused wine.

I feel a Napa trip coming on…

Click to Shop Bacon!

20 comments

1. Mike says:

Good point, baconator. I think the first thing we need to do is try a few wines with plain ‘ol bacon to get a baseline. Then we can move into other bacon mixtures.

If you do try the bacon wrapped scallops, please let us know!

2. Alexa says:

I believe that they guys over at the royal bacon society had a wine and bacon tasting/parrying for bacon day this year. They also tried a bacon infused bourbon which seemed to get good reviews.

Alexa

3. Mike says:

Thanks for the tips, Alexa. I’ll have to get in touch with the RBS to see how it all turned out for them.

And Mr. B, I’ll go Sideways with you, but I am NOT drinking any f*%king Merlot!

4. marianne says:

Post Bacon Day, I have confirmed that a bold Syrah is a great pairing for bacon. And in general, a thick-cut pepper bacon goes well with almost any hearty red.

I went tasting at a winery called Fiddlehead in Lompoc this weekend and had a great 12-year old Pinot Noir that was the smokiest wine I’ve ever had. I might have to fry up some bacon when I’m ready to bust that bottle out.

5. Mike Saunders says:

I’m glad you mentioned wine and Bacon. Some friends and I have started our own Bacon Cult here in Albuquerque. I had a revelation one morning that propelled me into my current mission as “Prophet of the Lard” and resulted in the first ever Ordained Pirate Meat Spectacle known henceforth as “THE SIX HOURS OF BACON!!!” As such, our Priests of the Hog Fat administer the Sacraments of the Lard at each of our gatherings now, which include bacon and some sort of alcoholic beverage depending on what’s available. Your site has been a fantastic blessing to our ministry and we thank the Lard for your service and perserverance.
    Mike S.
    Prophet of the Lard.

6. art predator says:

Last night with bacon wrapped filet we had a Teusner Ebenezer shiraz–worked great!

I wanted to have a sparking shiraz with this morning’s bacon…gonna wait until Thanksgiving for that!

Tonight I haven’t decided yet for which wine to have with our bacon wrapped scallops—a sparkling red would be great but then we’d be committed to drinking the whole bottle. I am leaning toward a GSM. The bottle of a lightly oaked sauv blanc won’t work hold up now that we added the bacon to the picture!

7. Spam says:

As co-host of a recent “Beer & Bacon Happy Hour” here in Baltimore, I wondered this same question as I pondered our next edition of the event.

So I signed onto Twitter, and went straight to the prime expert on such a topic: Gary Vaynerchuk, the host of the astoundingly popular and notorious Wine Library TV show (or, as he puts it, “The Thunder Show, aka the Internet’s Most Passionate Wine Program!”).

Me: “In your opinion, what wine goes best with bacon? Want to expand horizons for our next “Bacon & Beer Happy Hour” in Baltimore. :)”

Not even a minute later, I get a one-word private message from Gary in return:

“grenache!”

So there you go!

(Allow me to give Gary props while I’m at it…his Twitter name is “garyvee”, and his websites are http://tv.winelibrary.com/ and http://garyvaynerchuk.com/.)

8. compass says:

But what beers are best for bacon? I can’t stand wine. I’ve brewed at home for nearly 14 years, and am about to open a microbrewery in Louisville KY. It probably won’t make it on tap, but I’m trying to work up a recipe for a bacon beer. This one will probably end up at my apartment, instead of the bar, but I’m ok with that. I’m thinking a stout or a rauchbier (smoked beer).

9. Debbie says:

Try a chilled Gewurtztraminer or a Riesling, you won’t be disappointed. The lightness will accentuate the flavors of the bacon or any smoked hams. While you’re at it, take a trip to your local bookstore or library and check out James Villas’ Bacon Cookbook for some great recipes ranging from appetizers, main courses, soups, breads and even desserts with bacon as an ingredient.

10. gary says:

I’m in New Zealand. We have lots of really grassy and aromatic ‘cat’s pee on a gooseberry bush’ sauvignon blancs. I drink those at room temp with crispy streaky bacon as a snack. Better than fatty crisps. Add kalamata olives to impress the neighbours. OK, the neighbours are beyond impressing really because I hide the gin bottles in their recycling.