Today is Bacon Babe’s 40th birthday. For some people, birthdays are fun, happy events that they look forward to each year. And for others (like her), a birthday is an event that you dread months in advance.
To cheer her up, I asked her what she wanted for her birthday. She said she’d love it if the company could send her to Pig Beach in the Bahamas. On this tropical island, vacationers can swim with swine in the turquoise Caribbean waters. “It would make for a really good blog post, and definitely be worth the expense,” she said. Seeing as that would be impossible, I offered to bake her some cupcakes instead!
So, here they are. We’re a bit conflicted on the name. I call them “The Bacon Luau” Cupcakes. She calls them “The Lost Dream of Swine Island” Cupcakes. These sinfully delicious cupcakes are a rum cake filled with pineapple, cherry and bacon bits. The frosting is a pineapple whipped cream, garnished with a cherry on top. They are a tropical delight and are an awesome dessert for any Luau or Hawaiian-themed gathering. The sweetness of the fruit and the frosting perfectly compliment the salty savory-ness of the bacon. Eating one is just like vacationing in paradise. Well, not really, but it’s pretty darn close. These cupcakes took the sting out of her 40th birthday.
How about givin’ a little birthday love to Bacon Babe in the comments section?
Bacon Luau Cupcakes
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup cherry grenadine
1/4 cup crushed pineapple
1/4 cup chopped candied bacon
1/4 cup spiced rum or coconut rum
For the Pineapple Whipped Cream
2 cups whipping cream
4 tbsp confectioners sugar
1 tbsp pineapple juice (or rum)
1/2 cup finely chopped pineapple
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake pan with wrappers or baking cups.
2. Cream butter, sugar, and eggs together until fluffy. Add vanilla and mix until combined.
3. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Add half of the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined, then add the remaining dry ingredients.
4. Slowly add the grenadine and the rum, mixing until combined.
5. Hand-fold in the crushed pineapple and chopped bacon. Pour evenly into baking cups.
Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let the pan cool for about 5-10 minutes, then transfer the cupcakes onto a towel or cooling rack to cool completely.
Whipped Cream Instructions:
1. Before you start, chill mixing bowl and whisk or beaters for a few minutes before you start the whipped cream. If you are using an electric mixer, be sure you are using the whisk attachment and not the paddle.
2. Start by adding cream into your chilled bowl, whisking until it starts to thicken.
3. Add in sugar and continue to beat for a moment, then add in the juice (if you want adult cupcakes, you can add rum instead of juice). Whisk or beat your cream mixture until soft peaks form.
4. Hand-fold your pineapple chunks into the whipped cream.
5. Once the cupcakes are completely cooled, you can brush a bit of rum on top of each cake, then top them with whipped cream. If not, add your whipped cream by spooning some onto each cake and smoothing it out with the back of a spoon. Top each cupcake with some chopped bacon and a cherry.